A Guide to BS 8612
What is the BS 8612 and Why has it been Released?
BS 8612 is a set of industry standards, developed by the British Standards Institute, for dry fix roofing methods. Recently, dry fix roofing methods have been increasing in popularity – over half of new roofs in the UK use dry fixing – due to revised recommendations for roofing and slating best practice (BS 5534). In this revision, the dangerous problem of failing mortar and loose roof tiles was addressed with new guidance stating that ridges and hips need to be mechanically fixed, regardless of whether mortar is also used or not.
However, with many roofers, builders and developers wanting to adopt this new fixing method, manufacturers rushed to produce mechanical fixing systems and parts. At this time, there were no industry agreed tests or standards to measure such components to, and so the quality and reliability could be hard to establish, and vary widely.
Earlier this year, the BS 8612 was released. This notes a set of industry agreed standards for dry fix roofing methods to meet. Thanks to these standards, all dry fix roofing systems and components can be suitably tested and measured for appropriate criteria such as mechanical resistance, wind load and whether it’s weatherproof. If a dry fix system is BS 8612 approved, you can rest assured of its quality, dependability and durability.
BS 8612 Key Points
– The BS 8612 is the first industry wide agreed set of standards used to govern the quality of dry fixed ridge, hip and verge roofing systems
– Sets out suitable testing methods for assessing the quality of dry fix roofing systems and products
– The information from the tests can help the relevant architects and tradespeople select the most suitable roofing components and systems for individual builds, depending on the exposure of the building/site
– Lays out minimum performance requirements for factors such as fixing resistance, durability, weatherproofing and ventilation
– The materials used to create dry fixed components have to meet standards related to longevity in the face of UV exposure, freeze/thaw cycles and heat
– A further test assesses dry fix verge products’ ability to cast off water without causing staining to the gable wall
What Roofing Contractors need to do
As a roofer, the best thing you can do to ensure your work is up to standard is to make sure the dry fix system you select comes from a reputable manufacturer. You should check the specification of the system and components, looking for the BS 8612 and BS 5534 accreditations. It’s worth noting that with these updated standards, dry verge components must involve mechanical fixing across the face of the battens, not just at the end grain. So, to make sure you’re meeting British Standards and providing quality for your customers, make sure your roofing system choices are up to date and meet all requirements.
Hitchcock & King have over 40 years of experience providing customers with an excellent variety of top quality building supplies, including roofing materials. With eight branches spread across the London region, we’re ideally placed to serve customers throughout the capital. For added convenience, we can also offer prompt same and next day delivery of our building supplies directly to your site. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with our experts today for advice and enquiries.
Still need to know more?
How quickly can you deliver?
If you order in the morning, then you stand a good chance of same-day delivery. If, for some reason, same-day delivery isn’t possible, then next-day delivery is always an option.
Can I collect?
Yes, you can. If we have it in stock, you can pick up what you need from your closest branch.
Do you have what I need in stock?
To find out, give our friendly team a ring on .
Can I open a trade account?
Yes. You can open a trade credit account over the phone with a member of our team, who will set a pre-agreed limit with you, subject to references and credit card checks to ensure eligibility. For more information about trade accounts, visit our Trade Zone.
What cards do you accept?
We accept Mastercard, Visa, Maestro, Delta, Switch and Solo.